As we approach the 2020 Presidential Election, I thought it may be helpful to share facts about the candidates. Let me start by saying, be careful about what you take in from the internet! Millennials are big on social media/technology, so we should use these tools to our advantage. You should not solely rely on social media or facebook for accurate information, especially on politics! Most people don’t realize how a meme can alter their perception about important issues without further research. With that being said, I hope you find my blog an informative source to help you objectively shape your own political views. Let’s begin with Senator Kamala Harris, a member of the Democratic Party.
Facts about Kamala:
- Born in Oakland, CA to a Jamaican father and Indian mother.
- Graduated from Howard University then obtained her law degree from University of CA
- Served as Attorney General in CA
- Served two terms as District Attorney of San Francisco: won a $20 billion settlement for CA homeowners affected by foreclosure, protected the Affordable Care Act, and prosecuted transnational gangs
- Elected the second African American woman to U.S. Senate in 2016
- Serves on the Senate Judiciary Committee, Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, Select Committee on Intelligence, & Committee on Budget
- As U.S. Senator, Harris has introduced or co-sponsored legislation to provide tax cuts for the middle class, raise minimum wage, protect legal rights of refugees and immigrants, and make higher education tuition-free
- Author of The Truths We Hold: An American Journey and Smart on Crime: A Career Prosecutor’s Plan to Make Us Safer
- Works to protect children and students and fought to reduce elementary school truancy
- Advocates for reform in the criminal justice system – Kamala pioneered the initiative to expose racial disparities in the system, she established the ReEntry Program and created “Back on Track”, a program that connected first time felons with job trainings
With all the Harris memes circulating that attack her character, it was nice to tune into her interview on The Breakfast Club and listen to her speak for herself. She stood by her time as a prosecutor and stated she doesn’t regret throwing rapists and murderers in jail. She admitted that the system is flawed and she wishes she could have done more from this inside as a prosecutor.
Harris was also asked about her “blackness” on The Breakfast Club. Apparently, there is some confusion about her racial identity. As mentioned before, her parents are from Jamaica and India, so people argue that she cannot relate to descendants of slaves or have their best interest in mind. Her response was, “I’m not going to spend my time trying to educate people about who black people are.” She also has a white husband, (which shouldn’t matter either way) but folks continue to question it. Love has no boundaries.
Other fun facts about Kamala Harris surfaced during her interview. She supports the legalization of marijuana and told the audience she smoked a joint in college. She also revealed a few artists she likes to listen to including Tupac, Snoop Dog, and Cardi B.
Harris’ campaign theme is “For the People” and you can donate to her campaign at http://www.kamalaharris.org
We have a diverse group of candidates who are running for the 2020 presidential election so be sure to check back here for updates.
Was this useful?